This page will answer some questions you may have about insurance reimbursement for couples counseling.
For the service to be covered by Blue Cross Blue Shield PPO
1) Linda, our intake counselor, will verify your benefits, deductibles and copay.
2) The counselor at CCA will bill your insurer directly for the services. You will be responsible for deductibles and co-pays.
3) You many want to know how many sessions of counseling will be covered under your plan, per plan year.
Caution: Even though you may have BCBS PPO for medical coverage, some BCBS plans are contracting with third party providers for their mental health coverage.
Think of couples counseling as a service in the same way that you think of any other professional service: You want to find a provider that specializes helping couples to improve their relationship. Not all counselors have the training and experience to help couples in distress.
Below you will find instructions on how to request reimbursement if you use someone outside of your network.
If you pick a counselor who is not a provider in your network, and you would like to get some reimbursement, you can
1) Ask Linda to verify your benefits. We offer complimentary billing for out of network insurance companies.
Your insurance company has the rate of reimbursement for utilizing an out of network provider of services under your outpatient mental health services benefits. Some of our clients have very good out of network provider benefits. Many companies reimburse well for their out of network provider services. They may not reimburse you for the entire amount, but you may be able to get a substantial portion back, depending on your out of network benefits for outpatient mental health services. We will bill your insurance company and you will get reimbursed.
2) Request that your counselor provide you with a bill or statement for the services and submit with a copy of your medical card. Submit the statement directly to your insurance company for reimbursement. The company will reimburse you directly.
3) You could also use your Medical Service Account or the Flexible Spending Account debit card for your couples counseling services. You will not be reimbursed, but at least you can use the payment to your couples counselor toward the total amount you selected for a given plan year.
Caution: If you are covered by an HMO plan, you may not get reimbursed for using an out of network provider. Be sure to check with your insurance provider.
Expert counseling focused on couples issues may cost more, but will provide you with freedom from medical diagnosis and flexibility of formats.
Call or email us to find out about couples counseling services
Click here to send us a message.
Founder, Couples Counseling Associates
Tap to Call:
312-416-6191 ext. 205