Research shows that couples who are MOST satisfied with the results of couples therapy are those who did not put off getting help from a qualified professional.
However, even couples who have been struggling for a long time can turn things around when both are interested in making the relationship better and avoid a painful break up.
Here are some of the reasons couples put off getting help with a professional expert.
Even if your spouse does not want to engage in couples therapy at this time, you can attend sessions by yourself.
Keep in mind that 80% of therapists in private practice work with couples, but only a handful have the appropriate training and experience for helping distressed couples.
So, when it comes to professional help, be sure to choose a well trained expert.
Most couples go through difficulties in their relationships and they need a coach or a guide to help move thing along and get back on track.
Our work with couples is based in solid research on what makes a relationship successful.
We can help you identify your strengths and learn proven skills to help turn things around.
1) The counselor has training and expertise in helping distressed couples;
2) The expectations are clear to both parties (even when each member of the couple has different expectations);
3) Both members of the couple are motivated to change;
4) There is/was a foundation of friendship and/or love.
1) Couples use the counseling process as a last resort or as a threat;
2) The couples counselor does not have expertise in working with couples in distress;
3) One or both members are only motivated to blame the other;
4) There is little or no prior foundation of friendship and/or love.
A relationship can quickly spiral downward, and you may end up doing or saying things that are hard to repair.
Putting off relationship repair can have an effect on your physical and emotional health.
Talking to a couples counselor or seeking marriage therapy can help you to see the situation in a new way, reduce tensions, and help you reconnect with your partner.
In our efforts to bring value to your life, or if you are not in the Chicago area, Couples Counseling Associates has developed a series of lessons that could have a major impact on effectively improving your relationship. We encourage you to dive into the series and discover how these resources can benefit you and your partner.
Remember, it's the positive habits we develop that guarantee us success in all areas of our lives. Discover the seven healthy habits that improve relationships or get in touch with us to learn more about Couples Counseling Associates.
Click here to send us an email message or to make an appointment.
312 416 6191
Founder, Couples Counseling Associates
Tap to Call:
312-416-6191 ext. 205